Only with the heart one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." — Antoine de Saint-Exupery
How We Collaborate
- Coordinate disability awareness training.
- Determine classrooms that will benefit from an intern.
- Assist with documentation during the orientation process.
- Implement strategies with vocational specialist for intern’s success.
- Help intern complete HR orientation.
- Provide proper supervision and natural supports.
- Meet with the Social Service Agency to discuss intern’s progress.
Social Service Agencies
- Provide disability awareness training to the employer.
- Conduct task analysis in the school to find the best fit.
- Offer direct support through orientation and completion of onboarding requirements.
- Supply on-the-job training throughout internship and employment with a vocational specialist.
- Implement individualized job accommodations.
- Distribute marketing and promotional materials for recruitment.
- After placement, assist both the intern and the school.
- Meet with intern, school staff, and vocational specialist to ensure a smooth transition.
- Make school visits twice a month or as needed.
- Help employee achieve their full potential in a safe and respectful environment.
- Look for opportunities within the school to foster growth and development of the intern/employee.
- Act as liaison with school, intern/employee, and family for scheduling and work roles.
Frequently Asked Questions
Questions? Expand the panels for answers. Have more questions? Scroll down to contact us.
Let's Teach Together!
Teaching Together has successfully (and proudly) helped young adults gain skills they are now using as paid employees. We’d love to talk to you about how we can work together to improve the lives of those living with daily challenges!
Teaching Together Chicago is a program of Center for Independence through Conductive Education Inc., an Illinois nonprofit under Section 501 C 3 of the Internal Revenue Code. The mission of the Center is to help people with disabilities achieve their highest level of potential.
Learn more about the Center.